Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Sunday, July 29, 2007
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Friday, July 13, 2007
1 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, diced
4+ garlic cloves minced
1 tbs fresh chopped thyme or 1 tsp dried
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 cup uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed & picked over
1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 pint canned tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of spinach leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces*
1 tbs fresh lemon
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
12 oz. rotini (or other pasta)
1. bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
2. heat oil over medium high heat in a large, deep skillet or dutch oven. add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until soft, 3-5 min. add garlic, thyme and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, about a minute.
3. add lentils and mix well. add broth and bring to a simmer. reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are almost tender (about 20 min.)
4. stir in tomatoes and salt. cover and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors have blended, about twenty minutes. stir in spinach and simmer, uncovered, until wilted (about a minute). stir in lemon juice and pepper.
5. shortly before sauce is ready, add pasta to water. cook until al dente. drain and place in large warm serving bowl. add lentil mixture and toss. serve immediately.
* arugula is a good substitute for spinach>